Corona Pandemic Relief Work
Appeal For Contribution
We are in the midst of the second wave of COVID-19 pandemic, which seems to be even more deadly than the previous wave. Our health care system is in shatters. Last year, government had imposed a strict lockdown and initiated some relief measures, which were rather insufficient. This time, our PM is rather busy with Bengal elections. The responsibility of fighting Corona has fallen to states.
Responding to the soaring cases in Maharashtra, the state government has imposed a lockdown and announced some relief packages, but that is largely inadequate considering the scale of pandemic. A majority of our population is in the unorganized sector and faces starvation and economic devastation as their livelihoods are affected.
Daily wage workers are the worst hit despite their significant contribution in creating wealth in our society. In times of crises, it is the responsibility of all citizens to ensure their well being. Lokayat has initiated relief work in Pune’s slums to distribute ration kits. We appeal you to contribute for this cause in the form of sponsoring ration kits or momentary contribution for affected families.
Your small contribution means a lot to others!
For contribution, do contact
Vishal – 80073 25963 Shakuntala – 98502 54679.
Corona Relief works carried out by Lokayat
In these unprecedented times of Corona Pandemic, Lokayat is engaged in the following relief works:
- Distributing ration kits to needy families in various slums of Pune. In the month of April 2021 Lokayat has distributed over 141 ration kits to HIV affected families, migrant workers and labor families
- Running awareness drives for availing ration under various municipal corporation and state government schemes
- Doing followup of local authorities to release ration at ration shops
- Running a free counseling & legal aid center for distressed women and families
- Assistance to migrant workers to reach their homes (For more information, contact Monali: 93701 95213)
- Running various online campaigns focussing failures of our healthcare system and thereby responsible government.
- A petition to implement a 2% Corona Wealth Tax on 1% super rich Indians (at the end of this page)
Last year also, Lokayat had distributed over 1040 ration kits in over 16 slums in Pune. We had also helped community kitchens who were providing food packets for those who can’t afford fuel or are unable to get rations
Besides this we are organizing online lectures and discussions to create awareness about the root causes of the pandemic and the terrible socio-economic crisis it has caused. We must continue to organize people to struggle to remove these root causes. We are also running awareness campaigns regarding the importance of vaccination and the safety measures that are necessary in these tough times.
You can participate by :
- Making a financial contribution
- Asking your friends and colleagues to contribute
- Join us – volunteer some time for organizing awareness campaigns on social media
- Participating in either of our campaigns and online activities
Talks & Online sessions on Corona Virus Pandemic
Petition - Corona Wealth Tax
Lokayat is group of Social Activists based in Pune. We work on organizing people for various social, political, economic and environmental issues.
We meet every Sunday from 5 to 7:30 pm
"Lokayat Hall, Opposite Syndicate Bank, Law College Road, Near Nal Stop, Pune-4".
You are most welcome to join us in our meetings!